Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bookanista Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart



Cady Sinclair Eastman spends every summer on her family's private island, but this summer feels different, and it's because of something that happened last summer that Cady can't quite remember. Her grandfather and mother try their best to shield her from the truth, but long-simmering secrets have a way of surfacing...

So if you've heard of this novel (and you probably have, as it is a well-deserved hyped buzz book), then you know it has a huge twist ending. That's certainly what I picked it up for, because I love my twists.

Twists being much more fun when you have no clue, I'm not going to tell you much about the plot of WE WERE LIARS, but I do want to talk about craft.

Let's say you want to study subtext. Read this book. Gawk at the twist you probably didn't see coming, and recover from the sucker punch right to your heart. Then read this book again. Marvel at the way Lockhart expertly employs subtext, really giving you all the clues you need to solve the mystery (and for Cady to solve it) but disguising them so cleverly that you don't give them a second thought upon your first read.  That's impressive and I'm in awe. *claps*

(Incidentally, if you're studying subtext, you must absolutely watch Breaking Bad, especially the conversations between Walter and Hank. Master class right there.)



Check out the WE WERE LIARS tumblr for more quotes and teasers.

WE WERE LIARS comes out next week! I have pre-ordered a signed copy here.

FTC disclosure: Netgalley

What the other Bookanistas are loving this week:

Tracy Banghart lights up for STREETLIGHTS LIKE FIREWORKS, by David Pandolfe
Jessica Love is on fire for CAMELOT BURNING by Kathryn Rose
Tracey Neithercott sings the praises of STOLEN SONGBIRD by Danielle L. Jensen
Katy Upperman adores OPEN ROAD SUMMER by Emery Lord

3 comments:

Kristin Lenz said...

Lucky you, reading an advance copy! It sounds like you thought it lived up to the hype. I'm looking forward to it!

Kimberly Sabatini said...

I new I wanted to read this, but you just SOLD it!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Yay! Hope you two enjoy it as much as I did!