Monday, January 23, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton



Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today EVERNEATH is up. It's a modern spin on the Persephone myth that introduces us to immortal beings called Everlivings who prey on people to renew their energy.  Oh, and it just might be my favorite Persephone retelling of all.



So, Nikki wakes up after 100 years of being cuddled against her Everliving, Cole - and he's sucked her dry.  Except that Nikki still has the vague memory of a boy with floppy brown hair, and she decides to return above to Earth for 6 months so she can say goodbye before being eternally damned to the tunnels.

I loved how the structure here really adds to the tension: It flips back and forth between a countdown to Nikki's return date and a history of before her time below (what happened to make her forfeit her life?). I couldn't stop reading until I knew.

The Daughters of Persephone stuff was super fascinating, but I won't go into that here since it's kind of spoilery.

Also? Cole totally reminded of Cole St. Clair (from Maggie Stiefvater's LINGER and FOREVER), and that's never a bad thing.

Perfect ending - and now I can't wait to read book 2!

Shall we chat with Brodi?  



What is your favorite scene in the book?

Oh man, that's like choosing a favorite kid! Just kidding, I totally have a favorite kid. My favorite scene would have to be when Nikki chooses to tell Jack the truth, and she sneaks into his bedroom, and when she's too scared to speak, they play poker.

What is your favorite line in the book?

He leaned forward and said, "Tell me, friend. Is there more for us?"
I looked down at my feet. "There's everything for us."


Chills! What setting was most fun to write?

I enjoyed writing the everyday normal-ness of the high school. That's how I get most of my story ideas: Plop a character down in high school and mess with them. Then see what happens.

Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?

I love Jack's brother Will, but I would love to see Nikki's bff Jules get her own book. She sort of got the short end of the deal, considering she has been a constant for all of the characters, and yet she doesn't get to find out the truth. She needs to find love for herself, and mend her broken heart.

What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?

Meeting new people, like you! And getting fan letters from young readers. Those absolutely make my day. So if you read Everneath, and you like it, let me know!

Thanks so much for having me!!

Thanks for stopping by!

______________________________

EVERNEATH comes out tomorrow in hardcover.  Find out more about it at the author's website and add it to Goodreads

FTC: I received a review copy from the publisher.

4 comments:

Giselle said...

Great post! I really liked this and I love the scene where they play poker!! :D

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Zibilee said...

I am pretty excited about this book because it seems rather different than a lot of the other YA out there. I also am loving the cover, and what you had to say about it. I am glad this one goes on sale really soon, as I think I need to grab it a.s.a.p. Thanks for the great interview and the awesome post today!

Stephanie said...

This book sounds really good! I'm trying to catch up on blog posts today and find some new books to add to my TBR list. Looks like this one will make it there for sure!

Debbie's World of Books said...

I absolutely loved this one! Probably one of the best books I've read in awhile.